Have you tried ‘question of the day for kids’ to encourage higher-order thinking and develop your child’s intellectual capabilities? If not, now might be the perfect time to start. Asking kids questions is an effective method of enhancing their holistic development and providing opportunities for meaningful conversations. This is one of the best learning styles for kids.
It can seem daunting to come up with an interesting age-appropriate question of the day for kids. To make things easier, we’ve compiled a list of 200+ best thought provoking questions for kids that are perfect for encouraging critical thinking, problem-solving, and self-reflection.
Related Reading: Great Ice Breaker Questions for Kids to Ask Each Other
How To Keep Children Engaged in Conversations?
When asking a question of the day for kids, keep in mind that fostering healthy conversations is more important than providing a correct answer. Here are some tips to help you engage your child in meaningful conversations:
SplashLearn: Most Comprehensive Learning Program for PreK-5
SplashLearn inspires lifelong curiosity with its game-based PreK-5 learning program loved by over 40 million children. With over 4,000 fun games and activities, it’s the perfect balance of learning and play for your little one.Try for free
- Ask open-ended questions to allow children to think and explore different solutions.
- Age-appropriate questions will help to ensure your child feels comfortable and engaged in the conversation.
- Make sure you give your kids enough time to think and answer the question.
- Listen to their responses and encourage them to elaborate on their answers.
- Be supportive and non-judgmental in responding to their answers.
- Ask follow-up questions to further explore their thoughts.
We have brought some of the best conversation-starters to get your kids talking and thinking.
200+ Best ‘Question of the Day’ for Kids
Get to Know You Questions for Kids (20 Listings)
- What would you rather be – smart or funny?
- If you could name yourself again, by what name would you like being called?
- Where do you want to go one day on vacation?
- What’s your favorite cartoon character? Why?
- What would you want to become – a superhero or a wizard/witch?
- What kind of superhuman powers do you want to have?
- What do you have in life that you are thankful for?
- Would you become a famous writer or a famous rockstar?
- Do you find life exciting or boring? Why?
- If you could add/delete one thing from your life, what would it be?
- Do you like long hair like Rapunzel or blue ones like Smurfette?
- What are you most afraid of?
- Do you want a pet or do you want a baby?
- What is the happiest moment of your life so far?
- Do you want to learn sign language? Why?
- What’s your favorite color?
- What power would you like to have – to understand what animals are saying or to speak in a language animals would understand?
- What makes you sad?
- Do you like to stay indoors and read a book or go outside and play?
- What would you like to change in Mom/Dad?
Related Reading: Best Never Have I Ever Questions for Kids
Thought-Provoking Questions for Kids (20 Listings)
- What’s the funniest thing you ever saw?
- What would you like to become in the future?
- How are you going to make the world a better place?
- Do animals have feelings? Do plants have feelings?
- What were you doing on this day a year ago?
- Is it ok if a starving child steals food?
- Do you think rich people are better/worse than poor people? Why?
- Who is your best friend? Why?
- What can be done to make everyone in the world happy?
- Which is more important – money or success?
- What do you think is the most influential invention of all time?
- If you could travel at any place, what would it be and why?
- Can someone be both good and bad at the same time?
- Do we have a responsibility to help those less fortunate than us?
- Are people in your country equal?
- If you had the power to change something around you, what would you change and why?
- What attributes do you think make a person happy and successful in life?
- Do you think robots will become smarter than humans one day?
- How would you spend your day if you had infinite money?
- How can someone face their fears?
Funny Questions to Ask Kids (20 Listings)
- If you had a magical tree that grew any food you wanted, what would you grow?
- Would you rather be invisible or super strong?
- Who farted?
- Who are you going to marry?
- What is something grown-ups always say?
- Can you show me your craziest face?
- Do you pick your nose and rub it on the wall when no one is looking? Do you eat boogers?
- What’s your favorite way to laugh?
- If you could have a secret room in your house, what would be in it?
- What is the best kind of food for a food fight?
- How did Daddy get so tall?
- If a cow laughed, what kind of sound would it make?
- Do you know anyone who can turn themselves into a banana?
- What would be the funniest animal to make fly?
- What’s the silliest thing that ever happened to you in school?
- Would you rather have no voice or eat bugs every day for breakfast?
- What would you do if a zombie invaded your house?
- What are some of the craziest things your parents have said to you?
- If animals could talk, which animal would be the funniest? Why?
- What are some of the weirdest things your teachers have said in class?
Social Emotional Questions for Students (20 Listings)
- How are you feeling today?
- Who’s your role model? Why?
- What has made you feel really overwhelmed?
- What is your mood right now?
- When did you last feel proud of yourself? What did you do to feel that way?
- When you are feeling down, what makes you brighten up?
- Do other students bully you? How do you react?
- How do you handle stressful situations?
- What activities make you feel most relaxed?
- When did someone help you out and what did they do?
- Why is it important to be caring and kind?
- What would you do if a friend was being excluded by other people in the group?
- Do you feel comfortable expressing yourself in class?
- What do you think the best approach is for resolving an argument with a friend?
- Name a few positive aspects of being part of a group!
- How can we create an inclusive and diverse environment in our school/community?
- What do you think is important to remember when somebody has wronged us, but also apologizes?
- What is your definition of trust?
- How do you think we can help to build self-esteem in our classmates?
- What would you do if a classmate was being mean to someone else?
Related Reading: What Is Inquiry-Based Learning? Types, Benefits, Examples
Questions to Ask Kids About School (20 Listings)
- Which subject was your favorite today?
- Who did you play with today? What did you play?
- Did anyone cry in class today?
- What’s the most popular game at recess?
- Did you ever feel unsafe/afraid in school?
- Did you like your lunch today?
- What did you learn in science today?
- Did your teacher explain anything well today?
- Did anyone get in trouble today? What happened?
- Was there a book that was read aloud in class today?
- Are there any activities or projects you’re looking forward to this week/month?
- Do you feel like your teacher cares about you?
- What did you learn in math today?
- Did you learn a new word today? What is it? What does it mean?
- Did anyone get recognized for doing something special today?
- What’s your favorite period in class and which period do you dread?
- What is the best thing that happened today?
- How do you feel when it is time to go to school in the morning?
- Do you like working on group projects or prefer individual work? Why?
- What things do you like/do not like about your school?
‘Question of the Day’ Kids Love to Answer about Their Family (20 Listings)
- Who has the best family among your friends?
- Who is the most helpful person in your family?
- What makes your family special?
- Does anyone in your family have any cool talents?
- If you could add one new tradition to your family, what would it be?
- Are there any secrets that are kept in your family?
- Which of your grandparents have the best stories to tell?
- What do you and your parents do together that is fun?
- If you could take your family on vacation at any place, where would it be?
- Do you have any favorite memories with a sibling or cousin?
- Who cooks the best meal in your family? What dish do they make?
- If you could plan a special family event, what would it be?
- Which member of your family do you look up to the most?
- What is something that every person in your family has in common?
- Do you have any unique traditions that only your family does?
- What games does your family like to play together?
- Do any members of your family have any pets? What kind?
- Who do you see the most in your extended family?
- Do any members of your family have any hobbies that they like to share with you?
- What advice has a family member given you that stuck with you?
Fun Question of the Day for Kids to Ask Before Bedtime (20 Listings)
- How many times did you smile today?
- What are you planning to do tomorrow?
- If you could dream anything, what would you see in your dream today?
- What did you learn today?
- If you could travel at any place, which one would it be?
- Did anyone make you laugh today?
- What did you do today that you would like to do often?
- Who do you love the most – Mom or Dad?
- If you had one wish you could fulfill right now, what would it be?
- What can you do to make tomorrow even better than today?
- Did anyone help you with something special today?
- What happened today that you would not want to happen ever again?
- Did you make someone cry/happy today? What did you do?
- Did you make any new friends today?
- What was the best thing about today?
- How many times were you a good boy/girl today?
- Did anything made you lie today? If yes, how could that be avoided?
- If you were mom, what is one rule you would make for everyone?
- What inspired you today?
- Is there something that happened today that you would like to thank God for?
Related Reading: Hard Trivia Questions and Answers for Kids
Favorite Things Questions for Kids (20 Listings)
- What is your favorite movie/cartoon?
- What kind of books are your favorite to read?
- Do you have a favorite animal? What is it?
- Do you prefer playing indoors or outdoors and why?
- Who is your favorite teacher or professor in school and why?
- What is your favorite food?
- Do you have a favorite season and why?
- What is your favorite sport or game to play?
- Who is your favorite superhero and why?
- What is your favorite TV show that you love watching every week?
- Do you have a favorite category of music or a favorite artist?
- What kind of hobbies do you like to do in your free time?
- Name your favorite family member and what made them your favorite?
- Who is your favorite friend and what do you like about them the most?
- Do you have a favorite vacation spot that you would love to go back to?
- What activities do you like to do during the summer break?
- What are some of your favorite art materials/crafts that you find enjoyable?
- Who is your favorite teacher or leader in the community and why?
- What is your favorite thing to do on the weekends?
- What do you love to do when it rains?
Yes or No Questions to Ask Kids (20 Listings)
- Is it okay to make mistakes when learning new things?
- Do you think it is important to stay organized in life?
- Do you like trying new foods even if they look weird?
- Do you believe that our actions can have a positive impact on others’ lives?
- Do you believe that everyone is capable of achieving their goals?
- Do you think it is important to put the effort into whatever we do?
- Is it okay to ask for help when feeling overwhelmed or confused?
- Do you feel like what we learn in school will be useful in life?
- Do you think being kind is more important than being right?
- Do you think it makes a difference to help others in need?
- Is it okay to take some alone time when feeling stressed or tired?
- Do you believe that everyone should have access to quality education?
- Do you think it’s important to show gratitude for the good things in life?
- Do you think it is important to practice self-care and stay healthy?
- Do you believe that everyone should learn how to communicate effectively?
- Is it okay to take risks in life, even if it means making mistakes?
- Do you think it’s important to have dreams for the future?
- Do you believe that your efforts determine the results you get?
- Do you think it’s important to stay true to your values and beliefs?
- Do you think we should be respectful of other cultures and traditions?
Open-Ended Kids’ Question of the Day (20 Listings)
- What do you want to become when you grow up?
- If you become a President for a day, what would you do for young children?
- If you had a time machine and you could go to any time period, in what time would you like to go?
- If you become a dolphin, what would you like to see first?
- Who’s the best person you know and why?
- If you could invent a new item, what would it be used for?
- What’s the most interesting thing you’ve learned in school this year? If you had to describe yourself with three words, which ones would you choose?
- Which festival or holiday do you like the most? Why?
- Is there something that you wish adults knew about being a kid?
- Describe a perfect day for you.
- Do you have any tips or advice on how to stay happy as a child?
- What annoys you the most? How do you react to people who you find annoying?
- If you had the option of homeschooling, would you take it? Why or why not?
- Why do you need the best smartphone?
- If there’s no electricity for a day, how would you entertain yourself?
- How can we work together as a family to make our home better?
- How do you feel when mom and dad do not have time for you?
- What would the world look like if there were no rules or restrictions?
- Is it okay to eat animals? Why or why not?
- What is the best way to handle a conflict between friends?
Related Reading: Enjoyable Kids’ Activities for a Whoopee Time!
Question of the day for kids is an excellent parenting technique to raise smart, emotionally intelligent, socially aware and raising resilient children. It helps kids develop their communication and problem-solving skills, as well as encourages them to think creatively. Asking questions about different topics such as family, school, social life, emotions, etc. also enables parents to gain insight into the lives of their children.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How often should parents ask their kids questions?
It is recommended to ask your kids questions every day, but if you can’t do it every day, do it at least twice a week.
What are the benefits of asking the question of the day?
Asking a question of the day benefits both parents and children. For kids, it encourages them to think critically and express their thoughts freely. It also helps build trust and understanding between parent and child. For parents, it gives them insight into their children’s lives, allowing them to better understand their needs and feelings.
What types of questions should parents ask their kids?
Parents can ask their kids questions about a variety of topics, such as school, emotions, social life, family relationships, etc. Questions that encourage creative thinking and self-reflection are especially beneficial for helping kids to develop holistically.