The best way to keep a class engaged over time is to introduce the element of humor. School jokes can be incredibly hilarious and can help break the ice when starting a new class, introducing a new subject, or integrating new students. You can pick out your favorite class-appropriate jokes from the list below and have your class rolling in laughter.
The Best Funny School-Appropriate Jokes for Your Class
When looking for funny school jokes, these will really get the classroom going. The best school jokes for kids are simple and visual in nature, making them even more memorable. You can also encourage your students to come up with their own school-friendly jokes that they think are funny.
1. Why is arithmetic so heavy? Because you have to carry numbers all day.
2. Knock, knock. Who’s there? Justin. Justin who? You’re just-in time for lunch.
3. When is a blue book not blue anymore? When it has been red! (read)
4. What school is the friendliest one? A “Hi” school (high school)
5. What does a book do when it’s feeling cold? It puts on a jacket!
6. Why do magicians always do well in math class? They can handle trick questions.
7. Why was the egg asked to leave the class? It kept telling yolks! (jokes)
8. What’s a snake’s favorite subject? Hisssstory
9. What does a duck use to solve math problems? A Quack-u-later (calculator).
10. What does a spider love to do in school? Work on web-sites!
11. Who’s the king of all the stationery? The ruler
12. What are the coolest letters in the alphabet? The AC
13. What is the favorite tree of an English professor? A poe-tree! (poetry)
14. What does an overqualified circle have? 360 degrees.
15. Why was the broom late to class? He over-swept! (overslept)
16. What animal isn’t allowed to take an exam in school? A Cheat-ah (cheetah)
17. How do you make 7 an even number? Remove the first “s”.
18. What building has the greatest number of stories? The library
19. What plant is mathematical? Anyone with square roots!
20. Why is six scared of seven? Because seven, eight (ate), nine.
21. What tree is a math teacher’s favorite? A Geo-me-tree (geometry)
22. Why did the teacher have to wear sunglasses to class? Because her students are so bright!
23. What’s a wizard’s favorite topic in English class? Spell-ing!
24. How does a bee go to school? It uses the school buzzzz (school bus).
25. Which alphabet in the English language holds the most amount of water? The “C” s (seas)
Related Readings: Witty Math Jokes & Puns That Are Pi-Fect & ACute
The Best Back-to-School Jokes You Can Use in Your Class
The right back-to-school jokes can help set a lighter mood in the classroom and get the class acquainted with everybody in a jovial environment. You can even hand some of these jokes off to one of your students who can perform for their classroom as well. It’s important to keep the classroom happy and excited about getting back to a school routine to maximize their productivity.
26. What does an Elf learn at school? The Elf-A-Bet (alphabet)
27. What did the pen say to the pencil? What’s your point?
28. Why isn’t there a clock in the library? Because it tocks too much!
29. What dinosaur had excellent grammar and vocabulary? The thesaurus.
30. What does a computer eat for lunch? Bytes
31. Why can’t you ever argue with a 90-degree angle? Because they’re always right.
32. Why did the students eat their homework? Because the teacher told the class it was a piece of cake.
33. How does a scientist freshen their breath? With experi-mints (experiments)
34. What school requires you to drop out to graduate? Sky-diving school.
35. Who flies home when their school is over? A bee student (B student)
36. What do you call a 12-inch nose? A foot!
37. Which room can a student never enter? A mushroom.
38. Why can’t you use glue on your math homework? Because you’ll keep getting stuck on the same problem.
39. What do librarians take with them when they go fishing? Bookworms
40. Why did the M&Ms want to go back to school? Because they wanted to be a Smartie.
41. What is an English teacher’s favorite dessert? A synonym roll (cinnamon roll)
42. Why didn’t the sun go back to school? Because it already has like a million degrees!
43. What’s the difference between a teacher and a train? One says, “Spit out the gum!” while the other says, “Chew, Chew!”
44. Why does a dog do well in school? Because it’s a teacher’s pet.
45. What drink does a blackboard love? A hot-chalk-o-late.
46. Who is a teacher’s best friend at school? A princi-PAL.
47. What’s the smartest letter in the alphabet? The Ys (wise)
48. What’s a frog’s favorite year? A leap year!
49. What does a math teacher love to eat on Halloween? Pumpkin Pi.
50. What grades does a pirate get? High Cs (seas)
Related Readings: Dad Jokes for Kids That Are Actually Funny
Hilarious Jokes for Students on the First Day of School
It’s the first day of school and everyone is raring to get started. Before you jump into the day’s lesson plan for kids, you can start off with some of these hilarious jokes for the first day of school. These can get them laughing uproariously and thinking about the different puns and funny retorts.
Jokes can also boost engagement and participation from the first day onwards if you ease your classroom into the school year with some playful humor. They can reduce first-day jitters, and break the ice among newer students.
51. What did one pencil say to the other on the first day of school? Looking sharp!
52. Why do calculators make for great friends? Because you can always count on them!
53. What did the buffalo say when dropping off his kid on the first day of school? Bi…Son! (bison)
54. Where did the pencil come back from vacation from? Pencil-vania (Pennsylvania)
55. What can’t you grow in a school garden? Human beans (human beings)
56. Why do pirates hate the alphabet? Because they keep getting lost at “C” (sea)
57. Knock-knock. Who’s there? Pencil. Pencil who? Ah! Forget it; it’s pointless.
58. Do you know why every book in the library is the same color? They’re all red! (read)
59. Where do kids learn math in New York? Times Square.
60. Bobby ate seven apples on the first day of school. Julia ate nine. What do they have? A stomachache!
Related Readings: Best Classroom Games to Help Teachers Elevate Their Efforts
The Perfect End-of-the-School-Year Jokes for Kids
The end of the year is generally a sad day for many students, as they’ll miss their friends, teachers, and schoolmates. The right end-of-school-year jokes for kids can uplift their spirits and get them rolling with laughter.
You can also have your class prepare their own end-of-school puns that they can recite in front of everyone. This is a great group activity as well, with jokes being written and hung up on walls for next year’s class to relish.
61. Why does a math book look so sad all the time? Because it’s full of problems.
62. Why did the elephant miss the last day of school? He was ill-i-phant
63. Why did the Echo get detention on the last day of school? It kept answering back!
64. What’s a child’s favorite summer activity? Going to sundae school!
65. Why did the music teacher get locked in school all summer? Because her keys were in the piano.
66. Why did the pirate bring a pencil to school? To draw his treasure map!
67. Why was the obtuse angle so sad on the last day of school? Because he wasn’t right all year.
68. What do math teachers love to eat each summer? Square meals
69. What’s a math teacher’s favorite dessert in the summer? Pi
70. Where do sheep go for a tropical summer vacation? The Baa-Haa-Mas (Bahamas)
71. What does a math teacher use to light up sticks at summer camp? Arithma-sticks
Time to Get Your Class Rolling in Laughter
The best part about jokes is that they are silly by design. Jokes and puns can be said in silly voices and with funny props to make your class laugh hysterically. If you’re making a list of good jokes for school, you should start by making them about different classes, animals, sounds, and so on. The more multisensory the joke, with the right sounds and visuals, the more impactful it can be. You can start your comedy routine with jokes that every child can relate to.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What jokes are the funniest to tell in a classroom?
Jokes that are interesting, unique, and funny are often the ones that are highly relatable to your students’ experience.
How do I get my students laughing at funny jokes?
What’s vital is to find school-appropriate jokes that are actually funny and to select the best ones based on the children’s grade level.
How do I encourage my students to tell jokes in class?
Can jokes help improve class participation in other activities?
Yes, if you lighten the mood and tone of the class, students will be more inclined to actively participate in class.