What is Halves?
Splitting a whole thing into two equal parts gives a half.
Halves of Various Shapes
In the given images, the colored portions in each shape represent halves.
Representing half using fractions
A fraction is a part of one whole thing. When a slice of cake is taken out, it becomes a fraction, i.e. a piece of the entire cake.
In fractions, half is written as 12 of the whole.
Find half of a block comprising of six parts.
Take out 3 parts out of 6, and it equals one half.
Representing half on a number line
We can show fractions on a number line. The distance from 0-1 on a number line is always one whole. Dividing this distance into two equal parts will give two halves.
Properties of Halves
- Two equal parts of one whole thing.
- In decimal numbers, half is denoted by 0.5.
- We can find half of a number multiplying it by ½. For example, in the figure, half of the group of 6 chips is obtained by 6 × 1⁄2 =3
- By dividing the number by 2 we can get half of any number.
- Adding two halves makes one.